Sunday, April 10, 2011

Parental Challenge

I've nearly finished reading Student Ministry and the Supremacy of Christ by Richard Ross. I must recommend this book to student ministers, church leaders, and especially parents of children and teenagers. This book is more than another model for student ministry. It is a challenge for a return to biblical living by putting Christ in his supreme seat of glory.
I just finished reading a chapter that focused on parents, and I wanted to share a prayer or a challenge in thinking for every parent. This passage was written as a declaration of a parent who is "awakened to the supremacy of Jesus, and more deeply adoring Him on His throne, and daily arising to join Him in His kingdom activity" to be able to express to their children.
I declare you belong to Christ the King.
If you and I both come to believe Christ is calling you to do something that involves risk, I will teach you all I know about how to live wisely and safely. At the same time, I will do nothing to stand in your way of following Christ's call, no matter what the risk.
I hereby release you from any pressure to follow in my vocational footsteps. I charge you to do only what Christ calls you to do.
I acknowledge Christ may call you to a vocation that does not bring financial wealth or worldly prestige. The great pride I will feel as a parent will come from watching you do what Christ has called you to do.
Someday you might be confronted by wicked people. They may only give you two options- curse God or die. I release you to honor God, even if it should cost you your life.
God often has used students to bring an awakening to Christ in the church. I pray God will honor our family by allowing you to be part of such a generation.
I now consecrate myself to both teach and live before you to prepare you for Christ's callings on your life.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.
That's how I want to raise my children. I hope that all parents who have a relationship with the Lord will do the same. All for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment