Thursday, September 6, 2012

Confessional

I have to confess...confess that I'm a lousy housekeeper. Most days if you would drop by my house unexpectedly, you would find remnants of about 3 meals hanging around on my kitchen floor, pots and pans sitting on the counter waiting to be washed, and a sea of toys to dodge on the living room floor.  I like things to be clean and organized, and I can get my house that way, but the problem is I'm lazy. There are so many other things I would rather do than to clean up. The ironic thing is that while I'm ignoring the everyday house cleaning, I've been working on getting things ready for our big move to New Orleans which is a little less than four months away. I've been getting rid of clutter at least and packing up a few boxes. I would much rather do those things than clean up a kitchen. I know that sounds weird.

I've been on a mission for some time now to be more disciplined with my time. I can do good for a few days. Then things get crazy and I'm back to square one. But I'm not giving up. I'm not striving for perfection. I'm just striving for better. Thank God He is so gracious to me. He can help me overcome my laziness that is preventing me from being the best that I can be. I've been learning how to give myself some grace. I know that the reality of having littles running around means that keeping a house pristine clean is out the window. Like a friend of mine said cleaning up after children is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing. That being said though I still know that I can do better.

I'm putting this all out there because it feels good to get my dirty little secret (pun intended) out there, and hopefully help encourage someone else who is struggling like me. So there you go. 

1 comment:

  1. Kellie, i feel your pain (and laziness!). My home has been my refuge and my worst enemy most of my married life! I think people are either cleaners or not. As a non-cleaner, I also strive to do better knowing I can glorify God by blessing my family with a clean house, but it's so low on my priority list (cleaning the house, not glorifying God; I try to keep that near the top). Just wait til the kids are older and it's time to start teaching them to do chores. That makes everything take longer but I try to keep my eye on the big picture (kids who really can help clean the house when they are older!). Thanks as always for sharing your heart. Kim

    ReplyDelete