Saturday, January 25, 2014

Parker's Heart for the Homeless

Living in New Orleans it is a sad and unfortunate reality that there are many homeless in our city. It is not uncommon to see someone on the side of the road just off an interstate exit holding a sign asking for help. I hate it. Not because I'm bothered by their looks, but I hate that I feel so helpless in helping them. I know the solution to get these people off the street and into a stable lifestyle can be a complicated matter. But that said when possible, I can do a little something to help.
Like I said pretty much anytime we get off the interstate their is someone there asking for help and this hasn't gone unnoticed by Parker. The other day we had this conversation.

Parker: What's that man doing?
Me: He's asking people for help because he doesn't have a place to live or food to eat.
Parker: Why?
Me: I don't know exactly, but sometimes people have things that happen to them and they end up without a way to take care of themselves.
Parker: We could give him our old home.
Me: I wish it was that easy, Bud, but we can pray for him. (Then we said a prayer for him.)

Last night as we laid in his bed and talked about how blessed we were to have such a nice, warm place to sleep in since the weather outside was so cold and wet. Parker doesn't usually like to pray out loud, but last night he wanted to, and he said such a sweet prayer praying for the people who don't have places to live. It just melted my heart. I pray that his desire to help others only grows as he gets older. I know the Lord will be able to do a mighty work through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment