Sunday, August 9, 2009

Parker is here!

I'm so excited to announce the birth of our son, Parker Brooks Camp. He was born Wednesday, August 5 at 10:40 am weighing 9 lbs 8 oz and was 21 inches long. My what a big boy! I really can't believe he came out of me! I must say I am very grateful for modern medicine and the miracle of a spinal tap! I went into the whole labor experience with as little expectations as possible, but I was going to try for a natural birth but not leaving the option of having pain meds out. We arrived at the hospital at 5 in the morning for my induction, and I was already 4 cm dilated. I had to get a round of antibiotics in before they started the pitocin since I tested positive for Group Strep B. Around 6:30 am they started the pitocin. I started feeling the contractions soon after. However, after Dr. Smith broke my water at 7:30 I really started feeling it in my back. Poor Paul. He got a work out rubbing a tennis ball on my lower back non stop since my contractions were 1-2 mins a part after then. That's when I asked for an epidural. I was beginning to worry that the doctor wouldn't make it in there in time to give me an epidural when the nurse told me it would be a little bit because he was with another patient. But to my relief, he made it and decided that a spinal was the way to go since I was already 8 cm, and the spinal works immediately. Praise the Lord it does! After that they wanted to slow my labor a little to get in the second round of antibiotics. I got the spinal around 8:30 and began pushing around 10. Then at 10:40 am Parker made his arrival. Everyone was surprised at how big he was! He took in a lot of fluid at birth so they had to take him to the NICU to work on him but they assured me that he would be okay. They just had to get his oxygen level up and his respitory rate slowed down. It took him a few days to get the respitory rate to what it should be. He had to be fed through an IV which was disappointing to me because I wanted to start breastfeeding. But all is well, he is now doing well with breast feeding. Since he was on an IV a few days, he became jaundice, and soon that was the only thing keeping us from home. I am so grateful that I got to stay at the hospital the whole time he was there. Although, I was officially discharged as a patient, I got to stay in the room. This made it easier for me especially for feeding. I would just walk down to the nursery and feed him then go back to my room. The whole experience has been very emotional but the birth of my first son has been the best experience of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment