Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My baby boy is growing up

Part of me wants Parker to stay little forever and the other part enjoys watching him grow up. Tonight when he was getting ready for bed I was just watching him in amazement at what he can do on his own. I recently realized I was doing way too much for him. I was doing things for him that he could do himself. Therefore, I was taking the chance for him to build his self-confidence.

During our bedtime routine, he told me he wanted to sleep in his underware instead of a pull up. We talked about if he felt his body telling him that he needed to go pee pee then he needed to get up and go potty and go back to sleep. Since his room was a landmine field of toys, I told him we needed to make a clear path for him so he wouldn't get hurt. I planned on just sweeping the toys to the side and straightening up his room tomorrow, but he decided he wanted to clean his room all the way. I watched as he put toys in containers in no particular way. No like toys together. Just a jumbled mess of toys. He worked so hard at finding a place for each container. I tried to convince him just to push it to the side, but he had to find the perfect place. He wanted his floor clear, and he worked hard to do it. I just watched in amazement.

I've been the one who cleans his room. I put like things in their correct containers and tuck them away on the shelves or wherever they belong. I like things organized and in their place. I like things to look neat. So watching Parker clean his room wasn't so easy because he didn't do it the way I would have. But I kept my mouth shut and just watched him work so hard. He did it by himself. In the end, his floor was clear just like he wanted. The best part of all was he was so proud of himself. He squealed, "I did it!" Yes, he did. I'm so glad I let him take on this big task by himself, even if it meant a little later bedtime and not so perfectly organized toys. I'm so glad that I didn't take this moment for him to fill good about himself and what he can do.  I'm learning.

2 comments:

  1. Our 1st child is usually our best teacher! Bless him with wanting to learn and do!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie, you will have many more opportunities to hold back and let your children do things their way while you cringe knowing you could do it a little more perfectly. It's tough but good for you and them. Especially when it comes to school and I've envisioned a craft or assignment turning out a certain way and then it's completely different than I expected. Makes it all more apparent that each child is created uniquely by God and His plan for their life is perfect. We just guide them along the way.

    ReplyDelete