Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I Can't Complain

"Do all things without complaining or grumbling." Philippians 2:14

I have been saying that verse to myself over and over again lately. I have been praying for the Lord to help me overcome my fleshly desires to complain. I want to complain so badly. I struggle with keeping my prayers from being grumblings about whatever it is that is on my mind. I want to complain to myself, to God, and to anyone who's there (although most of the time it's just me and the kids). I want to complain when Parker's misbehaving, Ellis is unhappy and screaming, and the house can't seem to keep itself clean. I want to complain that we only have one car which means I don't have the freedom to go grocery shopping on the day I want to or just to be able to get out of the house for a little while. I want to complain Paul has to work crazy hours and spends 2 hours driving to and from work everyday so I feel like we don't get to spend much time with him. I could go on.
However, God's working on me just like He always is. One of the Sparkies I work with in Awanas was working on memorizing Philippians 2:14. I needed to hear that verse. Of course, God didn't just stop there. He gave me a way to overcome my fleshly desire to complain. I've been reading in Thessalonians during my personal Bible study time. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." I'm fighting (with the strength from God) the desire to complain with thankfulness. I'm choosing to be thankful that I have two beautiful, healthy children that I can hold in my arms when they cry. I'm choosing to be thankful that I have a Heavenly Father as a example of how to discipline my children in love. I'm choosing to be thankful that we have a place to live and can make the rent payment each month. I'm choosing to be thankful that having a second car is not a need since I have the privilege of staying home with my children. I'm choosing to be thankful that Paul has a job that can provide for us and if we manage our God's money correctly we can still have the means to bless others. I know by the world's standards I would have every "right" to complain, but that is so wrong. Everything that I go through, every struggle I face, every little nuisance is all under the authority of God. Nothing happens that is not according to His plan for my life. Everything I face is only a means for me to grow closer to God and into the image of Christ. Since I have placed my life on the altar of God, I have no rights, including the right to complain. Everything is a blessing, and it is a choice to see things that way.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Kellie. I really do enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for letting me into your inner thoughts and most often they encourage me to align my inner thoughts back to Scripture! Love you guys and will be praying for Paul's job situation and thanksgiving in the meantime! I have lots on my mind also and really need to blog soon to let it all out. (PS - one parenting book I've really liked is Ted Tripp's "Shepherding A Child's Heart".)

    ReplyDelete