Thursday, November 10, 2011

How to Make Pumpkin Puree

I can't stand to be wasteful so I decided I was going to use the pumpkins we got at the pumpkin patch to make puree for different recipes. Here's how I did it with the assisstance of a 2 year old.


1. Select a pumpkin/s. The smaller pumpkins (usually called pie pumpkins) make a sweeter, darker puree although any pumpkin can be used. The bigger jack-o-lantern pumpkins are not as sweet and the texture can be grainy.

2. Cut open the pumpkin and scrape out the innerds (I think that is such a funny word..innerds..hehehe). Don't throw away the seeds!

3. Cut the pumpkin into fairly uniform sized chunks and place on a cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for one hour or until fork tender.

4. While the pumpkin is baking, separate the seeds from the pulp.

5. Wash and dry the seeds to get them ready to toast. A recipe for toasted pumpkin seeds will follow.

6. After the pumpkin has cooled for 10-15 minutes, separate the flesh from the skin. I just used a butter knife but you can also use a spoon to scrape it off the skin.

7. Puree the pumpkin in a blender until smooth. Do not add water unless the puree is dry and not coming together smoothly.

Now you have a puree to use in a multitude of pumpkin recipes. I split my puree into one cups servings and froze. I will be trying some recipes and will post if I find some good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment